Thursday, August 31, 2006

What a Wonderful Wednesday!!

Late Nite last night was incredible. It was totally the renewal and reminding that my spirit needed. It has been a tough transition to go from concentrating on middle schoolers to college students and young professionals. Last night, God really showed me that I am exactly where He wants me right now, and that is such a great feeling.

After the pre-service meeting, all the leaders headed to the sanctuary to get set up for the Life Group fair and meet some new folks. The goal of the night was to talk to as many people as we could and pump up life groups big time. I haven't always been so good at the walking up to strangers and talking thing, but I am definitely improving. God totally hooked me up last night, though. I saw a girl sitting alone before service and knew I needed to make her feel welcome- someone did it for me just a few years ago. I met Amy, and after chatting a few minutes, I brought her around and introduced her to some people. I gotta give this girl a shout-out. Yesterday was her 24th birthday and she started LSU to get her PhD on Monday! She's a straight GENIUS! Very humble, but a genius nonetheless. Plus she moved down here from Kansas, leaving behind her love and her family, because she knows this is where God wants her. And what's so cool is that she found HPC on the web!!!

Then, I saw my cousin! This made me REALLY happy!!!

Service got kicked off with some slammin' worship. I haven't worshiped that passionately in months. I don't know if it was just that good or if it was just me, but God was doing something in me big time and I just couldn't tell Him enough how amazing He is. I was jumpin' around, reaching for Heaven... I just couldn't stop moving. I was oblivious to everyone and everything around me. I really felt connected to the heart of my Father and it was beautiful.

Then, Mike gave a real life message on the dangers of temptation to get our Gravity series started. Let me tell you, there was no fluffy cookie-cutter action here- it was down to the nitty gritty and I loved every single minute of it. I know I always say Mike does a great job- because he does- but this was one of my favorites ever. I know this series is going to change lives and I am so humbled and so honored to get to be a part of this team. When Mike was preaching, you would have thought he was preaching about my life... my falling into temptation so many times, trying to find happiness and fulfillment in the things of this world, letting the devil "crop" my big picture so I only saw the "right now"... This message reminded me why God has called me to this age group- because this is where I fell. This is where I threw years of my life away. This is where the enemy tricks me and brings my mind back to in order to torment me and remind me of the things I have done and the way I treated people. But in college is also where I was restored. It's where I was redeemed. It's where I found freedom and true love, mercy, and relentless grace. This age is where I learned how to really love again, where my heart was repaired and my mind cleansed. The message Mike preached is the reason why I have a passion to see college students and young professionals come to Christ. This passion won't die anytime soon. I'm on a mission. I have found my destiny in the One who created me, and it's the most amazing feeling.

The mood after Late Nite was different. As everyone browsed Life Groups and got connected, relationships were formed. No one cared how late it was. Everyone was just glad to get to talk and laugh. I got to talk to Amy more and find out more about her life and her walk. I got to talk to people who had left the church for a while but have begun to come back. The feeling in the sanctuary was one I hadn't felt in a long time- things are changing. This is a season of harvest and I have never been happier to be a laborer for the cause of Christ.

Having Chris with me in this endeavor has made all the difference. He knows the things I have done and what I have been through. He knows my hurts and my joys. He makes my life a better place to be and everyday I see him make a difference in this world. It may be cliche, but life is good and God and good, and I trust Him to carry me through.

No comments: