Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Politics

**Disclaimer: The following opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect feelings or opnions of anyone else around me. If you don't agree with me, get mad at me and no one else. But I'd rather you didn't get mad at all :) **

Some people say it's not good for Christians to talk about politics because it may alienate people. Some say that we have to talk about it so that righteousness can win out. I am somewhere in the middle. I took the "W" sticker off my car a while back because I didn't want to be labeled by people before I ever got to reach them. After yesterday's midterm elections, I wish more Christians hod gotten out there and voted. I am proud of Pastor Dino for praying for these elections from the pulpit. He didn't verbalize his vote, but he emphasized the importance of voting for righteousness.

I am neither 100% Republican or Democrat. My moral issues tend to usually fall on the conservative side. While it worries me that the next Speaker of the House is going to be a liberal woman, she has made some promises that I do like. Pelosi has outlined a “First Hundred Hours” agenda that promises to enact the recommendations of the bipartisan 9/11 commission, raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour, cut the interest rate on student loans in half, and streamline Medicare’s prescription drug program. I am ALL for a much higher minimum wage and much lower student loan rates. I am not for abortion and same sex marriage, which is something Democrats typically fight for lately.

For right now, I am just going to trust God that He will turn everything to good, just as His word promises. Even if it looks rough on the surface to some people, God is a big, huge God and He can make anything work for our good and His glory. Even on the local level, I really believe that too many people didn't do their homework and just voted "yes" on every amendment that sounded ok. However, looking deeper at several of those amendments, their passing creates more problem than good. But once again, this world is in God's hands, not ours. Therefore I will stand strong in my belief that He will take care of us.

For now, I can just say I hope next time everyone does a little more research... but no matter what, I pray that we can still have ultimate faith in God.

No comments: