Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Being a Barbarian for Jesus

So this weekend we were able to go see my Grammy in Lake Charles. It was SO MUCH FUN!!! I have never played so many games of Crazy Eights in my life! We laughed so hard that we cried. I got some clothes, some vintage jewelry, and a new book. In the last month or so, I have read The Freedom Writers Diary and Tuesdays With Morrie. I loved both, but I have really felt that this year was my year to become a radical, bold, raw follower of Christ. I have heard great things about a book that helps to "unleash the untamed faith within", so I picked it up this weekend. I started it this morning, and right now I am a third of the way through. It's called The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus and it is INCREDIBLE!

I wanted to share a couple lines that really struck me from the pages I have read. "Jesus understood His purpose was to save us not from pain and suffering, but from meaninglessness." Can we say "STRONG"? This life isn't supposed to be peaches and cream. Amazing Christians go through intense hardships. I mean look at Paul, Stephen, and so many others. The best people on earth go through some of the most difficult trials, and sometimes God's plan is not to save us from it, but to use us through it. So many pastors preach prosperity, like it's just something that comes along with loving Jesus. Meanwhile, there are missionaries in third world countries being killed by witch doctors. Jesus called us to live a dangerous life- I mean do we really think he died for us so we could be constantly comfy?

The second line was this:"Have we become so refined and so civilized that the benefits of our faith have become more precious and more valuable to us than the Benefactor of our faith?... Rather than living a long life, are you willing to live a life worth living?" Thank you, Jesus, for forgiving me when I put my life, my routine, my schedule, my comfort above You. Though I want to live a long life and have had many years of ministry when I die, my life will have been worth nothing if I ignore the calling God has placed on me because it is uncomfortable! Leaving my family and friends to go to Africa scares the daylights out of me, but what scares me more is not living the destiny God has placed in me...

God, make me raw, uncivilized, passionate, bold, hungry, and barbaric for You!!!

2 comments:

Carole Turner said...

Hello! I lead the book Club life group @ HPC and Barbarian Way is our book for this month!

That book is now # 2 on my all time favorite books! It really changed how I look at EVERYTHING!

I always say I should get paid by the publishers of my #1 favorite book, which is "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis, because I buy it for friends, tell everyone about it, etc. Well now the same goes for "Barbarian Way" I am on a mission to have as many people I know read it!

Anonymous said...

ok, I have to put in my recommends here...
have you read:
"Bruchko"
"Rees Howells"
or "Peace Child"?

they're all amazing stories of missionaries to went beyond the norm, and God did amazing things through. since you're considering Africa, you may want to check them out :)
have a great week!