Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thank you, Jesus

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately on marriage (obviously!). Anyway, I just feel so sorry for people who don't love it. Recently a lot of young people around me have gotten married, and I was so discouraged when I asked how it was and I got, "It's not what I thought it would be" or "It's not that different". Some even went so far as to say they felt trapped. I worried that Chris and I's only difference would be that we went to sleep and woke up together.

But it's just so untrue! The moment we committed our lives to each other, something happened within us and there's such a strong, pure, holy commitment that nothing and no one could ever tear apart. Many people will think I am an overzealous newlywed who is still in the "honeymoon stage." But after talking to some older and wiser married couples, I have found out that the honeymoon stage never has to end. I can be this blissfully happy and in love my whole life!! What God has done inside of us is so huge that it's just out of my realm of understanding.

Hearing that marriage "...isn't that great" is such a slap in the face to God. He created us for union with each other and this is one of His most amazing gifts. By degrading it to something that just gives you a title and some privileges, people are totally stripping it of what the Father meant for it to be.

I just want all of you to know that I LOVE marriage. I know that I am very blessed to be in such an amazing coupledom and not everyone has that blessing... I thank God for it everyday. And yes, this is one of many areas I am learning to have grace with... I just don't want negative people to disrespect God or discourage people looking forward to a life with the one God created them for...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said, my friend...I praise God for what He has done in you...it's beautiful! And I praise God for joining you and Chris in marriage! I agree that the honeymoon never has to end. That doesn't mean there won't be hard times, but love never has to die! For sure! I wonder if the people giving such negative feedback are just going through hard times...seeing their circumstances and not the big picture from God's perspective? Just wondering.
From my experience, we have had struggles of all sorts...and love has been rekindled over and over...and after 11 years, it's better than when we first got married!! Honestly!! And it's only getting better...imagine that!!
blessings in abundance to both of you ~ TJ

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTER! 2010 COULDN'T BE HERE SOONER! :0) REALLY THOUGH, I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND CHRIS...DON'T LET THE "HONEYMOON" STAGE EVER END...YAY!
LOVE YOU
LAUREN B